Project Binky FAQ
By Alexander Assmann
Once again, Alexander has collated a bunch of the frequently asked questions.
There’s click through links to the answers from our Q&A video and links to the podcast we did with Crossthreaded and links to the AskEdd video shot with Edd China.
It is also clear that the guys will not publish any spoilers, so if Your question is “What colour is it going to be?” or “What will You do to the engine?”, they simply will not answer it. You just have to wait and see…
I have compiled most of the questions to the list below. To get the answer, just click on the question.
What is Project Binky?
Nik & Richard:
We’re trying to create one of the fastest Minis on the planet. We’re going to rebuild it with the engine and running gear from a Toyota Celica ST185 GT-4. Or at least that’s the plan. Whether it comes off or not is another matter. We’re filming this as it happens so what you see is only a few weeks behind where we’re actually at so we’re not sure yet whether we can do it. That’s kind of the fun though.
Stick with us through the highs and the lows of the project. Hopefully it’ll be worth the agony and cash.
- Must use standard Rover Mini panels
- Not allowed to stretch the front, the back or widen it (except for arches to cover the wheels)
- Needs to look like any other slightly modified standard Mini
- Needs to seat four (in an ideal world), back seats do not need to be useable
- Should end up with a nicer-looking version of the rusty pile of old junk they started with.
Would like to have:
- Electric windows
- Remote central locking
- Power steering
- Banging tunes
- Is ‘Binky’ a Discworld reference?
- What on earth possessed You to try and shoehorn the guts of a GT-Four into a Mini?
- Why a Mini?
- Why this particular Mini?
- Why a GT-Four?
- Is there just the 2 of You working on this project? Is this Your only project on the go and is it Your first priority?
- Where did You two learn Your trade and what got You into cars and modifying the first place?
- What colour is it going to be?
- When is it going to be finished? – for another answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 48.50
- What will the next project(s) be? – for another answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 55.20
- How do You protect the steel to stop it rusting after You’ve fabricated it? Do You inject any rust preventative into the hollow sections?
- What type of primer do You use to protect the welds/metal?
- Will the “steering arms welded to the struts”-system hold up?
- Why did You start with a new floor if You’re going to be chopping most of it out?
- Did You consider blasting/dipping the Mini shell before you started?
- Why the “POP” after each weld? – for an answer listen to the Crossthreaded Podcast, from 28.40;
- What’s Your expected 0-60 time?
- Will the series be available on DVD?
- Where can I find the Acme website to order side repeater holes?
Not so serious questions
- Is the weight of biscuits consumed, greater than or less than the weight of steel used in the build?
- How many cups of tea has it taken so far?
- Which brand of tea bags do You use?
- Is it true that there are as many molecules in a teaspoon of water as there are teaspoons of water in the Pacific Ocean?
- Would You rather fight one Celica-sized duck or 100 duck-sized Celicas?
- Can I borrow £20 to get some Gin?
- What’s the fastest land mammal?
- Can I have the Jig?
- Will You build another Jig?